Cuenca, a mountainous city, has a population of 467,000, and several magazines/websites have proclaimed its wonders:
- In 2009, International Living magazine named it "The World's Best Retirement Haven": http://internationalliving.com/
- In 2008, the German magazine Stem listed Cuenca as its top Latin American pick in a survey of best places to live overseas.
- In 2006, the International Congress of Urban Planners voted Cuenca as one of two Latin American cities which were the "most livable cities in Latin America."
- In 1999, the city was awarded UNESCO's distinction as a World Heritage Trust site which offers a rich diversity of people, art, history and colonial architecture.
- And, our daughter & her fiance recommended it!
They noted the fact that crime is low, health care is excellent (hospital linked to Boston University), and the weather is like spring year-round.
We shall see.